History

On September 6, 1956, Cor Jesu Academy opened its doors for the first time to 17 students on Macklind Avenue on The Hill under the administration of Sr. Anita Marie Giampetro, ASCJ. With the approval of Joseph Cardinal Ritter and the Archdiocesan Superintendent of Schools and the accreditation by the University of Missouri, Cor Jesu began to expand and build its curriculum to meet the needs of each subsequent school year. 
Throughout the school’s history, continued efforts toward excellence have resulted in expanded curriculum and co-curricular activities, as well as increased numbers of faculty members and students and expanded technology and facilities. The faculty of Cor Jesu Academy is composed of dedicated religious and lay professionals. The religious Sisters are members of the community of the Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. 
Since its beginning, Cor Jesu has fostered a strong and vibrant Catholic tradition and an innovative and academically challenging approach to education for young women. More than 5,500 women have graduated from Cor Jesu, transforming the world for good through their faith, compassion, integrity and impassioned service.

President

Sr. Barbara Thomas, ASCJ: 2007-

Principals

Sr. Anita Marie Giampetro, ASCJ:     1956-1968
Sr. Anne Toohey (Jerome), ASCJ:  1968-1973
Sr. Stephanie Termini, ASCJ:   1973-1975
Sr. Ellen Cronan, ASCJ:  1975-1984
Sr. Ritamary Schulz, ASCJ:  1984-1990
Sr. Sheila O’Neill, ASCJ, Ph.D.:  1990-2006
Sr. Kathleen Mary Coonan, ASCJ:  2006-2016
Sr. Veronica Beato, ASCJ ’74:   2016-

Milestones:

1956: Cor Jesu opens on The Hill;
             Accreditation: The University of Missouri
1965: Cor Jesu opens new school building on Gravois Road in Affton, MO
1971: Accreditation: The North Central Association
1987:   New Library-Fine Arts Center opens
1990:   Cor Jesu named a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by U.S.
Department of Education
1992:   Sr. Sheila O’Neill, ASCJ, Ph.D. establishes Endowment Fund
1994:    Cor Jesu is one of the first high schools in the St. Louis area to
implement the Eight-block Schedule
1996:    One-on-one Laptop Program begins
2005:    $6 million Clelian Hall opens: new school entrance, administrative offices,
Counseling Department offices, classrooms
2007:   President-Principal Leadership Model begins with Sr. Barbara Thomas, ASCJ
named as Cor Jesu’s first President and Sr. Kathleen Mary Coonan, ASCJ as Principal
2008:    Six acres purchased along west side of campus along Gravois Road
2009:    New Sports Field and Parking Lot open
2011:   Science Labs renovated – Biology, Chemistry, Independent Science Research
2012:    10 acres purchased along west side of campus, adjacent to front field;
           Library renovated – Technology and aesthetic upgrades, New Student Learning Center,
Campus Ministry office, IT office, CJTV Studio
2016:    The Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus assigns Sr. Veronica Beato, ASCJ ’74 as
Cor Jesu’s first alumna principal
2017:    $10 million Performance Gymnasium, Student Commons and four new classrooms open in fall
"Sharing the Love of the Heart of Christ"
CJ History ~ You may order your copy of Sharing the Love of the Heart of the Heart of Christ: A History of Cor Jesu Academy, a limited-edition, hardcover history book written by two of Cor Jesu's own history teachers. Click here to order your copy!